Wondering how to edit your business hours on Google? You can easily update your hours of operation in Google Business Profile—commonly known as Google My Business—to let your customers know when you’re open. Learn how to change your business hours in Google Maps and Google Search in our guide to Google business hours below!
- How to Update Your Business Hours on Google Business Profile
- What to Expect When Updating Your Google Hours
- Why You Should Fix Your Business Hours Online
How to Update Your Business Hours on Google Business Profile
- Log in to your Google Business Profile account
- Select the grid icon on the top right
- Click the “Google Business” icon* to go to the Google Search page for your business
- Click “Edit Profile” under “Your business on Google”
- Go to the “Hours” tab
- Click the pencil icon next to the first “Hours” section
- Make sure “Open with main hours” is selected
- Check the “Closed” box underneath the days your business is not open
- Enter the correct hours of operation for your business
- Click “Save” to confirm your new hours
You also have the option to add holiday hours and special hours like happy hour, breakfast, drive-through, takeout, delivery, and more under the “Hours” tab.
*Note: If you have more than one business profile, pick the correct location in Google Business Profile Manger during step 3. Make changes to each location’s business hours individually.
- Follow steps 1-6
- Click the “Open with no main hours” option
- Hit “Save”
Closing & Reopening During the Business Day
- Follow initial steps 1-7
- Type the first set of hours your business will be open (like 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM)
- Click the plus sign to add more hours in one day
- Type the second set of hours your business will be open (like 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM)
- Hit “Save”
What to Expect When Updating Your Google Hours
It can take up to three days for your new Google business hours to appear in Maps, Search, and your Google Business Profile, so edit your holiday hours and closures several days in advance.
Remember to adjust your business hours across all online platforms (including your website)—not just on Google Business Profile. Otherwise, Google could lose trust in your business if your information is inconsistent across the web. Common local business directories that list your hours include Bing, Yahoo, Apple Maps, Yelp, and many more.
Why You Should Fix Your Business Hours Online
As mentioned, Google favors businesses that have consistent and accurate information—including their business hours—on the internet. Beyond search engine optimization, here are a few more benefits to keeping accurate hours online:
- Customers appreciate knowing your hours without having to contact you
- You can avoid the “I drove all the way here and your business is closed” feedback from customers
- Accurate special hours and holiday hours help customers plan their holiday shopping in advance
- Google won’t have to inaccurately guess your business hours or rely on suggested edits from users, allowing the business owner to control the published information
- The more information your Google Business Profile has, the more likely customers are to see your brand as professional and choose it over your competitors
How Do I Set My Business Hours for Holidays in My Google Business Profile?
For special business hours that will affect your normal schedule, here’s how to set holiday hours on Google Business Profile:
- Log in to your Google Business Profile
- Click the top right grid icon
- Click the “Google Business” icon
- Select “Edit Profile” under “Your business on Google”
- Under the “Hours” tab, click the pencil icon beside “Holiday hours”
- Edit your hours of operation under the preset holidays
- If needed, scroll past the listed holidays and click “+ Add a date”
- Enter the other date(s) your business will be open or closed
- List the hours you will be open/closed
- Hit “Save”
Be sure to make your special business hour changes in advance. It can take up to three days for your hours to be updated on Google Maps and Google Search.
How Do I Show Busy Hours on Google?
Unfortunately, you can’t manually add Google’s “busy hours”—including popular wait times, live visit information, and typical visit duration—to your Google Business Profile yourself. Once a brick-and-mortar location gets enough user visits, Google automatically creates these “busy hours” metrics from user data.
How Do I Mark My Business as Closed in Google Business Profile?
Follow these steps to mark your business profile as closed:
- Log in to your Google Business Profile to select the business you want to edit
- Click the “Info” tab on the left navigation bar
- Look for the “Close This Business on Google” section on the right side of the page
- If your business will close for more than seven days and plans to open again or is a seasonal business, select “Mark as temporarily closed”
- For permanent closings, select “Mark as permanently closed.” You can also select “Remove listing” if you no longer want your business listed on Google Maps or Google Search.
- Select “Close Business” to save your changes
When you want to re-open the business, just update the business days and hours as normal.
How Long Does It Take to Update Google Business Hours?
After you submit changes, it takes up to three days to update your hours on Google Business Profile.